How is driving abroad going to change after Brexit?

Book at Central Autopoint

Get an instant price that you can book for free 24/7 and don’t pay until the day

How is driving abroad going to change after Brexit? – Central Autopoint

Brexit has dominated the headlines for the last three years, but now the deadline of October 31st is fast approaching. Our driving lives will change after Brexit – but in what way?

What’s going to change after Brexit?

For starters, new documentation will be needed to drive in EU or EEA (European Economic Area) countries. For UK drivers, the main change will be the need to carry an IDP – International Drivers Permit - available from your local Post Office for £5.50. There are two different types, so check which one you need before you travel. It’s also worth knowing that sometimes you might need to purchase both types of IDP, such as if you’re driving through France to get to Spain.

If you live in the UK but hold an EU driver’s licence, you don’t need to worry about retaking your test. Your EU licence will still be valid to allow you to drive in the UK. However, EU drivers coming into the UK will require ‘Green Card Insurance’, explained below), or evidence of valid vehicle insurance.

Will things be different if it’s a No-Deal Brexit?

Yes, a No-Deal Brexit will mean a lot more changes for UK drivers looking to drive in EU or EEA countries. You’ll need to take out ‘Green Card Insurance’ to protect your valid UK insurance abroad. If you’re a regular traveller to EU or EEA countries, you’ll need to keep on top of your ‘Green Card’ as they are only valid for 90 days and take between one and four weeks to process. If you plan on travelling with a fleet of vehicles, or a trailer or caravan, each of them must have a valid ‘Green Card.’ You might not be able to travel without one, so make sure you’re prepared. EU drivers looking to use their vehicle in the UK must also take out a ‘Green Card’ every time they travel.

You should also know that you’ll need to display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle if it’s fitted with a Euro licence plate, (a plate with both the EU and UK flag on it). However, you won’t need a GB sticker if your vehicle has a designated UK licence plate or you change your Euro plate to a UK one. Finally, should you need to make an insurance claim in an EU country it must be made against the driver’s native insurance provider and not a UK firm. You should receive compensation, according to your policy and the nature of the accident, but this might not happen if you’re hit by an uninsured or untraceable driver in any EU or EEA country.

Is there anything else I should know?

If you’re a UK pet owner, you might want to take your companion on holiday with you rather than leave them behind in a kennel. The nature of Brexit depends on what you will need to do before you travel in order to take your pets to an EU or EEA country – however, there will be strict guidelines introduced either way. If you’re planning on travelling with an animal, refer to the Government’s guidelines, leaving plenty of time before you travel to do so.

If you’re planning on taking your vehicle on a long journey, why not treat it to a full service before you go? Use our FREE online booking tool today for a quick and easy quote – just enter your registration and what service you require, and we’ll do the rest.